One of the first crops grown in the garden since the beginning of spring is radish, and it is one of the first to produce crops. However, some gardeners sow it several times during the season, receiving rich harvests for personal consumption and for sale. Radish Duro is considered one of the most delicious and easy to grow varieties with excellent marketability. The characteristics and type of cultivation of this variety will be discussed later in the article.
Duro variety description
The early ripe grade of a garden radish Duro quickly develops, gaining juiciness and the necessary size of a root crop in 23-25 days! The plant grows up to 25 cm in height, if the plant is fertilized, otherwise the ground part will be underdeveloped. Gives large roots up to 10 cm in diameter and weighing up to 40 g. The color is red, the shape is round. The flesh is very firm, white and juicy, more sweet than bitter.
Gives large roots up to 10 cm in diameter and weighing up to 40 g
There is resistance to tsvetushnosti, stitching, the formation of voids in the root and cracking. It can be grown in the greenhouse and in the open ground from spring to mid-August.
Shelf life after ripening and collection - 30 days in a cool, dark room. Taste, smell, color or external qualities are not lost during the month, then the radish gradually fades, may begin to rot, dry and bitter in excess of the norm.
How to plant radishes Duro?Read also these articles.
- Raspberry hussar
- The best varieties of eggplant for greenhouses
- Leghorn Chickens
- Cabbage variety Kolobok F1
When choosing a plot for sowing seeds, it is necessary to pay attention to those beds where tomatoes, strawberries, beans, peas, cabbage, parsnips will become crop neighbors - for radish. At the same time, it is not worth planting it next to cucumbers and onions. Ancestors can not be cruciferous!
Scheme of sowing radishes under the film
The loose soil is best suited, the root crop in it will develop faster, but with frequent weeding any land will do. It is important that the place was sunny, if the planting is carried out in the open field, the greenhouse may be an alternative, there is not much sun, but it is very warm.
The first time you can plant Duro radish is from the end of April, but only under the film so that the earth does not overburden. Subsequent seeding is carried out with an interval of 2.5 weeks.
The sowing pattern is quickly remembered. Since the root crop of radish is small, seeds are sown at a distance of 3-4.5 cm from each other. It is possible and thicker, but then you have to thin out the shoots, and this is additional work. Planting depth is 1.5-2 cm, otherwise the seeds will germinate for a very long time. Since the plant is usually planted in several rows, up to 7 cm of free space is observed between them, otherwise the leaves of the plant will be confused, the plot will turn out to be sloppy.
What are the features of care?
The most acceptable temperature for growing Duro radish is 16-20 degrees Celsius. But higher readings with proper care will not hinder the growth of radish.
Features care for radish Duro
- Watering is carried out as the land dries. It is important not to overdo it with moisture, yet the tasty part of the plant is underground, it should not rot! On average, 10-15 liters of water are consumed per square meter.
- Weeding is always carried out after watering. It is important to treat the beds in such a way as not to hurt the fragile roots of young or already formed roots of grown plants. To do this, use small glanders or tools for transplanting potted flowers.
- Top dressing can be carried out in the period of plant growth and development. To do this, it is best to use complex tools with a small amount of nitrogen. You can apply superphosphate (15 g / m2), ash (1 l / m2), saltpeter (10 g / m2). Manure as a fertilizer is not recommended. If used, the fruit will get a bitter taste.
- Thinning is carried out in the event that the crops were carried out very densely. At the same time between individual shoots leave 5-6 cm of free space.
- Radish Duro is resistant to bacterial diseases. And yet some diseases can attack the plant. To get rid of them using traditional methods or fungicides. Insecticides or the same folk remedies will save crops from pests.
After the roots ripen, they are immediately harvested. Overexposure in the ground will lead to loss of taste, color of the rind.
Is it possible to grow in a greenhouse?We recommend reading our other articles.
- When to plant petunia on seedlings in 2019
- Bellarosa potato variety
- Katumsky sheep
- The best varieties of cherries for the Moscow region
It is possible to grow radish of a grade of Duro in the dug and closed soil. In the greenhouse, the harvest is obtained earlier, as there are more favorable conditions. Instead of a greenhouse, to reduce the ripening time, you can use a small greenhouse.
In the greenhouse, the harvest is obtained earlier
It is important to note that this variety is suitable for year-round cultivation and manufacturers claim that the variety can be grown in the middle of summer in the open air. However, in summer in open ground too high temperatures, the ground cracks, dries quickly, the radish will grow, but poor conditions will negatively affect the root. Therefore, since July, it is still recommended to grow radishes exclusively in greenhouses or greenhouses, if possible.