Currant is a healthy berry, therefore it is grown in country houses and kitchen gardens all over the world. But not all its varieties have high productive indicators. Currant Exotic refers to the new varieties of black currant. She was bred in 2001 in Siberia. It has a pleasant taste, has many advantages, it is recommended for cultivation in the central regions.
Description currant varieties Exotica
Black currant Exotic refers to the early varieties. It has a vigorous shrub, but not very thick, if you do the correct annual pruning. Young shoots are light green in color, hairless, thick. The wooden shoots are also thick, even, slightly shiny, gray in color and with a gray-yellow top. Buds are large, pinkish, pointed, asymmetrical. The sheets are five-fingered, large, with a rough, corrugated surface, with an uneven serration along the edge. Color green with glitter. The flowers are large, pale.
Brushes are not very small, hang down. The berries in them are located on 8-10 pieces on average, but it happens more or less. The brush is not pubescent, very dense, straight. The berries are round, large - an average of 3.5 g, but there are instances up to 6.5 g. The color is black, saturated, the skin is matte, thin. The berries have a sweet and sour taste, slightly refreshing, with a strong but pleasant smell.
The composition of berries 12.8% of dry substances, 8.9% of sugars, 2.8% titrated acid. 100 g of berries: 197.1 mg of vitamin C, 101.1 mg of anthocyanins, 151.7 mg of leuco-cytocyanins, 684.5 mg of P-active substances, 431.7 mg of catechins.
Photo black currant Exotica
The advantages and disadvantages of the varietyRead also these articles.
- Variety of strawberries Albion
- Currant Variety Black Pearl
- Strawberry varieties
- Variety of garlic Gribovsky
What are the advantages of Exotica black currant?
- Winter-hardy variety, can withstand temperatures down to -26 degrees.
- Self-fertility is 54%.
- Early ripening.
- Currant berries are black, large, about the same size, shape, mass. They are convenient to collect, have excellent product quality, are highly valued for the rich vitamin composition.
- The taste of berries is estimated at 4.5 points out of 5 possible.
- Immunity to powdery mildew, columnar rust.
- Manual and mechanical cleaning is possible.
- The yield of 1.5-3.5 kg / bush or 3.5-5 t / ha.
Black currant Exotica has several drawbacks, but each gardener can judge their materiality independently.
- High resistance is observed only to the two diseases indicated above. The rest of the bush has only an average resistance to certain diseases. For example, a variety is vulnerable to septoria, terry, kidney mite, anthracnose, and therefore requires spring and autumn treatment from diseases and pests.
- Berries during ripening are vulnerable to weather conditions. With frequent rains, they just rot on the branches.
- In hot, southern climates it needs frequent watering - it suffers very badly from drought.
- Due to the fact that the peel is thin, the berries deteriorate even when harvested, and they can only be transported in immature form.
- When overripe berries are showered from the bush.
If we sum up all the positive and negative sides of a variety, then we can conclude that it is best to grow it for yourself or for sale in the local market (fast transportation). Commercial cultivation may not meet expectations due to the fact that the berries are very thin peel. The possibility of mechanical harvesting does not help much here - if the berry has made juice, it will not be long to lie.
Photo of currant berries Exotica
Features of growing and care
Currant varieties Exotica need to be able to properly plant and grow. The quality of the berries and their condition depends directly on how much labor the gardener will invest in them.
- It is possible to plant currant Exotica only in an open place where there is a lot of sun (in the shade the berries will be small, sour and mature longer).
- It prefers light, fertile land and organic fertilizer.
- Planting time of this variety is better to postpone for the autumn months (September, October). In the spring of the bushes poorly and slowly take root.
- During planting, the root neck of the currant Exotica is strongly buried (by 10 cm) so that many basal processes appear.
- The soil should always be moist, but not swampy. It is worth several times a year to use mulch: during the summer drought, in the spring, to protect against recurrent frosts, in the fall, to protect against frost and food.
- If some more varieties (pollinators) are planted close by, the yield will increase 1.5-2 times.
- Pruning currants should be carried out regularly, at least once a year, but better than 2 times (spring and autumn). It is necessary to constantly monitor the number of branches on the bush, so that there is no thickening, and also to remove dry, damaged, diseased pagons in time.
If you follow the rules of planting and care, an exotic currant will delight the gardener with tasty, juicy berries for 20 years! Then it will need to be replaced with a young bush.
Harvesting and processing of the currant crop ExoticaWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Hissar breed of sheep
- Tomato variety Lady fingers
- How to feed the grapes?
- Romanov sheep breed
The harvest of the currant variety Exotica falls on the beginning of July. It is not recommended to postpone this, as the berries after ripening can begin to crumble, and on the ground they quickly rot. Manual cleaning refers to gentle methods, and in this case it is more recommended that the berry be kept longer.
The keeping quality of the Exotica variety is low, but at a temperature of + 10 ... + 12 degrees, the berry can last for up to 10 days. In polyethylene at a temperature of 0 ... -1 degrees is up to 1.5 months. But more often currants of this variety are simply frozen. As such, it can be stored throughout the winter, and even longer.
The variety of black currant Exotic is referred to as universal. Fresh berries have the greatest benefit. Therefore, it is better, of course, to eat them fresh, but in the blanks (compote, jam, jam, jam) they are also useful and do not lose their taste.
Reviews variety Exotica
Tatyana Pustovey: “Exotic currant is a favorite variety. There were a few more on the site: Selechenskaya, Lazy and some others, but threw everything away from Exotics. The taste is just class, a huge berry. The only drawback is that the berries crumble if you gape a little with the collection. I pick berries together with a brush, and then when I start up for processing, I grab them, so they last longer. "
Tamara Linnik: "A really large berry of the black currant variety Exotica, much more than that of the Currant Yadirenoy, but the taste of the berries was sour this year, possibly due to lack of sun. Selechenskaya was much sweeter, so I’ll dwell on it, all the more so on Exotics a lot of care takes time. "
Vadim Butko: “Completely for Exotica. One of the most favorite varieties. The berry is large, not sour, it is always sugar free. It grows in the sun and even summer heat normally transferred. The soil is sandy, watering regularly (2 times a week), feeding, mulching and no problems. The bushes are flat, they do not fall apart, even if the harvest is big. The berries come off normally, if not pulled, but carefully removed. "