Not only for the beauty, but also for the healing properties valued quarantus. This is seemingly ordinary, but interesting culture, characterized by pretty flowers and rich green foliage. It blooms regularly, it can be said tirelessly. And even though the flowers are very simple, their number and accuracy can not but admire.
Quarantus is a type of herbaceous and semi-shrubby plants. Belongs to the family Kutrovyh. In the wild it grows in countries with a tropical climate. In nature, quarantus can grow up to 1.5 meters in height, but ornamental species are usually more compact, up to 60 cm. It is grown as an indoor or garden plant. As a rule, the annual, but some flower growers manage to grow it as a perennial plant.
The root system is pivotal, well developed, has a strong smell. The central root grows up to 30 cm, and there are many adventitious roots. Stems erect, but branching on top, fleshy. Young shoots are green, eventually woody. The leaves are glossy, oblong, a lot of them on the bush. Leaf length up to 7 cm, color dark green.
Flowers solitary. Petals come in a wide variety of colors: pink, white, lilac, blue-violet, orange. In the center of the bud is a peephole of a contrasting color. After flowering, a fruit appears - a sickle-shaped double-leaf, inside of which there are elongated seeds.
Carantus blossoms very plentifully from May to October. On the one hand it is good, because the plant pleases with color throughout all the sunny months. But everything has its price. After such a long flowering, the carantus comes to full exhaustion, and it is very difficult to make it bloom in the second year. Therefore, it is more often grown as an annual crop with a single, but long-term flowering.
Types and varieties of quarantusRead also these articles.
- Grape Variety Transfiguration
- Variety Pears Just Maria
- The best varieties of onions, how to grow and care
- Large white pig breed
In nature, there are no more than 8 types of quarantus, but only pink quarantus is suitable for home cultivation. All existing varieties and hybrids, sold in stores and flower markets, are exactly from this species. They differ in size, color of buds and some other characteristics.
- Quarantus Pacific - this is a whole type. It grows a bush up to 30 cm in height and in diameter up to 20 cm. It blooms early, it is not demanding to care. The flowers are large with a clearly visible eye in the middle. It is used not only as a balcony or indoor plant, but also for landscaping flower beds and paths. Depending on the color of the petals is divided into several varieties: White, Burgundy, Ice Pink, Eprikot.
- Quarantus Aristocrat grows up to 50 cm tall. Flowers up to 5 cm in diameter. The color of the buds can be the most varied from white to dark red. In the middle there is an eye. Grown as a garden or indoor plant.
- Cooler - variety series of catarantuses. Plants up to 40 cm tall, branching. Flowers are round in shape, up to 5 cm in diameter. Depending on the color of the buds are divided into varieties: Red, Grape, Pepermint. The core is always contrasting.
- First Kiss - low bush up to 40 cm in height. The crown is very bright. Shades of flowers are the most diverse. Differs in compactness, accuracy, pleasant appearance.
- The Cascade variety includes many varieties that differ in color of colors: Mergenta, Cherry, Titan, Deep Rose, Polka Dot and others. These are ampelous quarantulas growing to 15 cm. They have long shoots that can move along the floor, hang out of pots, or even curl (if directed) along poles, arbors.
How to care for cataractus at home?
Care for the Quarantus
It cannot be said that home care for quarantus gives a lot of inconvenience or problems. This is not a capricious plant, just need to prilovchitsya.
- Humidity is very important. If it falls below 60%, it is recommended to spray a flower or install near an open container with water. Spraying is carried out as needed, but there is one nuance. Leaves on this procedure respond with gratitude, but on the petals drops leave burns.
- Lighting should be diffused. Suitable western and eastern windows. In the winter, in the apartment, the flower is artificially done to shine, otherwise the stems will begin to stretch.
- In summer and spring in the apartment where the quarantus grows should be + 20 ... +25 degrees Celsius. In winter, you can reduce the temperature to +15 degrees.
- Watering is carried out regularly, so that the earthen room does not dry out. The flower does not like dryness, therefore, 2-3 cm deep down the ground should always be wet. It is watered frequently in summer, and in the fall, if there is a desire to leave the crop for 2 years, it is worth reducing watering and simply maintaining high humidity and acceptable temperature.
- To bloom was abundant and lengthy it is necessary to feed the plant. Carry out feeding once a week. Usually, the fertilizer is simply mixed with water in the right proportion (shown on the package). As for the type of fertilizer, it is better to take what is for flowering plants. After flowering, they feed the quarantus once every 2 weeks in a weak dosage. And from October to February, feeding is completely stopped.
- Pruning is carried out in the spring, after the plant has survived the winter, regained strength (if perennial is grown). Pagon pruned to third. Removed and dried, damaged branches. Formed crown. During flowering, you also need to follow the flower - all dried flowers, pagon should be promptly removed.
- When diseases or pests appear, the plant is treated with fungicides or insecticides, and the maintenance standards (watering, lighting, temperature, additional feeding) are adjusted as necessary.
Reproduction of catarantusWe recommend reading our other articles.
- What to feed the ducks in the winter?
- Sterilization of cans in the oven
- Variety of tomatoes Pink Elephant
- Hydroponic systems
Carantus can be propagated by dividing the bush, cuttings and seeds. First you need to consider the first two methods that are most popular.
When propagating by cuttings from a flower, green cuttings are cut from the tops of the shoots. Root them can be in the substrate or water. Water is usually taken defended or boiled with growth stimulants. After immersing the cuttings, they are placed in a warm place and waiting for the roots to appear. Water is poured as needed. When the roots appear, you can repot the stem into the ground. If the cuttings are rooted in the substrate, then it is necessary to cover them with a film and wait until signs of growth appear. As needed, they are watered and ventilated. And only when there is visible growth, you can be transplanted into separate containers.
When dividing the bush is necessary in the spring when transplanting the plants divide the roots into 2-3 parts. The division is carried out with a sharp knife or scissors in order not to damage the plant. After pruning, you need to lubricate the cut areas with crushed coal, and then plant each sprout in a separate pot.Important! Before dividing the bush with a knife, the instrument must be well sanitized!
Growing from seed
Seeds of the quarantine are usually purchased in flower shops. Sowing is carried out at any time, but about 3 months should pass from the time of sowing before flowering, so they are usually sown in early spring so that the bush will bloom by May.Important! Seeds collected from the quarantus after flowering may be immature. For the next season, they ripen only in tropical conditions. So in order to get your flower seeds it is necessary to keep all autumn and winter in conditions close to the tropics, then it is possible to ripen the seeds by spring.
Before sowing, seeds are treated with potassium permanganate and epin, in order to quickly germinate and not hurt. Sow them need to nutrient soil to a depth of 1 cm. Moistening is carried out only with a spray gun, and then the container with the seeds covered with a lid or film (transparent). Crops put on a warm place.
After a week you can see the sprouts, then the container is transferred to a bright place. The temperature is maintained within + 23 ... +26 degrees. Airing is carried out once a day - in the morning. About a month sprouts grow roots, then go to growth. And only after 4 leaves appeared, they swoop into separate pots.
Carantus is usually transplanted when it is grown as a perennial. The procedure is carried out annually - in the spring. When transplanting it is important to worry about the land. It should be loose, fertile. If you take the purchase, then the one that suits the geranium. If we talk about the pot, it makes no sense to plant a flower in small containers. The quarantus grows quickly, therefore it is recommended to take a larger pot with respect to the plant so that there is plenty of space after transplanting, otherwise in six months the bush will have nowhere to grow.
Transplantation is carried out by the method of transshipment, so as not to damage the roots. A new land similar in composition to the previous one is filled up. Transplantation may also be required throughout the year if the plant has grown heavily and the roots have nowhere to grow. As a rule, this process is characterized by yellowing of the lower leaves and bulging of the roots from holes in the bottom of the pot.