Toward the end of spring, gardeners are expecting their first harvest of strawberries in the new season. But if the bushes are sick or attacked by harmful insects, it will not be possible to feast on juicy berries. After all, the treatment of strawberries from various ailments, pests is an important part of care, which should not be forgotten if there is a desire to harvest large crops. Diseases of strawberries and pests, as well as methods to combat them, will be described below in the article.
Strawberry disease description
There are many diseases of strawberries. Each type of disease has its own symptoms, so it is not difficult to recognize them.
Gray decay and brown spot
- Gray rot occurs very often, especially where the bushes grow densely, and high humidity is maintained. It appears from the time of flowering and throughout the fruiting. Berries with this disease of strawberries are covered with gray spots, they can also be present on the leaves during flowering. There is also a fluffy bloom. The disease quickly spreads over the area, the affected berries become watery and rot right on the twigs.
- Brown spot most often manifested in old leaves. Its main symptom is reddish brown spots from small to large in size, which grow and darken. They then appear spores of black fungi. Over time, all the affected leaves wither and die.
Mealy dew and verticillary wilting
- Mealy dew appears in a period of high humidity. The bushes are covered with a grayish bloom, the leaves roll up into a sort of tubule. One side of the leaf gets a pinkish sheen. Berries are painful, as if powdered with powder or ash.
- Verticillary wilting appears as dark spots on the leaflets, which lead to interstitial necrosis. The first to dry the lower leaves of the bush, then the upper ones. If the disease goes underground - to the roots, then dry rot is formed there.
- Ramulariosis or white spotting affects flower stalks, petioles and strawberry leaves. On the plant, it appears as round specks with a diameter of about 2 mm. Initially they are brown, but over time they become white with a red edging.
- Late blight may have a chronic or transient form. In the case of chronic late blight the plant is lagging behind in development, the leaves become small, grayish, dry quickly. Peduncles are reduced, and antennae may not appear at all. There are no berries. Bush dies in about 2-3 years. In the transient form, in early spring, the peduncles first die off, then the leaves fall off, the roots of the plant become bare and it dies. In a section roots of sick culture reddish.
Leaf Rust and Wrinkles
- Rust appears more often in May, but it is often observed in the fall, when strawberries go to sleep. On leaflets it appears as yellowish-brown spots, slightly convex (you can feel it with your hand). All the leaves die off quickly, and if the disease is not treated, the whole bush will be in danger.
- Leaf wrinkles is a dangerous, but not very common strawberry disease. Mostly tolerated by aphids or other pests. The affected leaves become small, a yellow border appears along the edge, the leaf wrinkles between the veins, the veins brighten, and frown too.
Strawberry treatment with drugsRead also these articles.
- Onion variety Stuttgarter Riesen
- Planting apricot
- Growing melons in the open field
- How to get rid of aphids folk remedies
Strawberry treatment with drugs is effective, however, you need to understand that it is not always possible to use specialized substances. So, before you treat strawberries in spring, you should see if there are more flowers. If the blooming strawberries are sprayed with chemicals, the bees pollinating them may die. Below is a table with fungicides, their purpose and method of use against a particular strawberry disease.
|A drug||Type of||Strawberry disease||Dosage||The multiplicity of treatments|
|Alirin b||Biofungicide||Gray decay, White and brown spot, Mealy dew, Leaf rust||2 tablets / liter of water||3-5 times with a break per week|
|Fitosporin M||Biofungicide||Gray Rot, Brown and White Spot||5 g / 10 l of water||Once after flowering|
|Maksim||Class 3 chemical fungicide||Verticillary wilting||2 ml / liter of water||2-3 times per season|
|Baktofit||Biofungicide||Verticillary wilting, powdery mildew, phytophthora||3 g / liter of water||3 times with a break of a week.|
|Farmod||Antiseptic||Leaf wrinkles||3-6 ml / 10 l of water||2-3 times with a break of 14 days|
|Glyocladin||Biological product||Late blight, verticillous wilting||50 g / 0.5 l of water||Once a season|
|Trichocin||Biofungicide||Late blight||20 g / 10 l of water||Once per season|
|Trichodermin||Biological product||Late blight, Gray decay, Mealy dew||20 g / 5 l of water||Once during the growing season|
|Planriz||Biological product||Late blight, mealy dew||50 mg / 10 l water||Every 10-20 days|
Traditional methods for the treatment of strawberry disease
Garlic and mustard powder
Folk drugs are less dangerous for strawberries, so they are chosen if the diseases of strawberries are at an early stage.
- Any fungal diseases, and pests too, are afraid of the infusion of garlic. 10 g of water is taken for 500 g of garlic. Garlic is pounded, mixed with water and infused for 3 days. Then it is filtered and, diluted one-to-one with water, used for spraying.
- From the gray rot will help spraying mustard infusion. 10 g of boiling water is taken per 100 g of powder. Mixture insist 2 days, then diluted in a ratio of 1: 1 with water and sprayed bushes.
- From powdery mildew helps infusion of rotted hay. Per kilogram of hay is taken 3 liters of water. Within 5 hours the mixture is infused, then filtered and used in the evening 3-5 times per season with a weekly interval.
- Viral and fungal diseases of strawberries will pass if the bushes are sprayed with iodine solution - 10 ml / 10 l of water every 10 days since May.
Strawberry PestsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Raspberry variety orange miracle
- Sheep shears
- Canned fish in autoclave
- Hyacinth flower
Pests are dangerous not only because they can eat the ground and underground parts of strawberries, but also because they carry dangerous diseases. It is necessary to fight them at the very first signs of appearance!
Strawberry whitefly and bronzovka shaggy
- Strawberry Whitefly - something like a micro-butterfly with a length of up to 1.5 mm. Settled on strawberry families. They live on the back of the leaf, feeding on its juices, and laying eggs there.
- Bronze shaggy attacks the plant's generative organs. They eat flowers, young leaves from May to the end of June. The pest is black, matte in color with pronounced fluff in the head area. Length 12 mm.
- Green peach aphid affects the flower stalks and petioles, which begin to weaken and die off.
- Strawberry leaf beetle - strawberry pests, up to 4 mm long, brown color. He eats strawberry leaves. The eggs are laid by the female on the lower part of the leaf or on the stem. The larvae hatch in 14 days and eat no less than adults. They have a yellow body with specks on the back and a brown head, with a length of up to 5 mm.
- Strawberry Nematode is a roundworm up to a millimeter long. Reduces yield by up to 50%. It settles in the axils of the leaves, the kidneys. It leads to deformation of ovaries, buds, flowers. Reduces the growth of the bush. May live in the land for a long time.
- Nettle-weevil eating leaflets. It is a beetle up to 12 mm in length, wintering in the ground. The color can range from blue green to bronze brown. The eggs of the females are laid in the soil. Of them appear thick, legless wrinkled larvae that eat small roots.
Strawberry, spider mite and slug
- Strawberry Mite - transparent, small size up to 0.2 mm. Affected bushes are reduced in size, bear little fruit. The leaves turn yellow, curl and die.
- Spider mite - A common problem of gardeners. It can envelop the whole bush with a thin web, which after a while simply dries up. Pliers small up to 0.5 mm, light.
- Slugs - common pests of strawberries, live in all regions where strawberries can be grown. They cause significant harm to fruits, although other parts of the plant suffer from them.
Strawberry Pest Control
Depending on the type of pest control methods may differ from each other.
- From strawberry whitefly will help processing pesticides before flowering and after the berries are collected.
- "Calypso" - an effective insecticide from Bronzovka shaggy. Used at any time of the year, the first action can be observed 3 hours after use.
- It is possible to fight strawberry leaf beetle only by agrotechnical methods, since it lives and winters in the ground. Of the chemicals fit "Sharpay", "Zolon", "Karate".
- From strawberry nematode helps compliance with agricultural standards when growing strawberries. With the defeat of the bushes is to remove diseased plants and process the soil with 5% solution of ferrous sulfate.
- The nettle weevil is fought by spraying with 50% solution of Karbofos. You can also use "Decis" or "Confidor".
- Strawberry mite is destroyed with the help of the drug "Keltan" or "Malathion".
- A spider mite is afraid of acaricides like Omite, Aktellik, Ortus, Sunmite.
- From ticks also helps hot pink solution of potassium permanganate. First, ticks are collected, and then the bushes are watered with a hot solution (up to +70 degrees).
- Of the chemicals from slugs, Slimax can help. Up to 7 kg of substance is used per hectare.
Disease and pest prevention
Preventive measures allow you to completely avoid the appearance of pests and diseases of strawberries.
- You can not thicken landing. Yes, there are gardeners who do not plant strawberries in rows and at the same time their crops do not get sick. But all the extra bushes from them are usually removed, the plants always grow apart, so as not to interfere with each other. If strawberries are growing "on top of each other", then diseases simply cannot be avoided by them!
- For the prevention of spring diseases strawberries are simply sprinkled with chopped wood ash. Up to 70 g of ash is taken per square square.
- To pests and diseases appear less often in strawberries, it is worth planting garlic or onions between rows.
- Growing disease-resistant varieties and hybrids, you can forget about problems with diseases.
- It is desirable to grow strawberries on agrofibre, as it allows you to make even rows, save the bushes from weeds, stop the spread of pests.
If preventive measures are taken, diseases and pests will not harm the strawberries, but if they do appear on the beds, you must immediately fight them so that the problem does not get worse. After all, only healthy bushes will bring beautiful, large and tasty berries.