Modern breeds of geese are classified according to the size of individuals. There are large, medium and small geese. Each species has its own unique features for which poultry breeders appreciate or dislike them. This article will present large breeds of geese and their characteristics.
Features of large breeds of geese
Geese of large breeds eat a lot
Geese - one of the types of domesticated birds, beneficial for breeding. With geese get meat, liver, eggs, fluff, feather and young. Due to the fact that these birds grow quickly, the breeder saves on feed, but in addition, this bird is beautiful and can decorate any yard.
Large breeds of geese are grown to produce high quality meat. They are popular on private farms and on poultry farms. They grow large, actively develop and have a pleasant, tender, juicy meat. Cultivation rates do not practically differ from the norms when breeding other breeds of geese, only they need more space.
Another thing - food. Geese of large breeds eat a lot, but if properly organized food, you can reduce the total cost of consumption to a minimum. After all, geese feed and on the run, simple grass, duckweed and other pasture - this is necessarily taken into account. In addition, you need to add vitamins to feed, so that the development of individuals is correct, yet they will have greater muscle mass, so the development of bones and cartilage must be correct.
Toulouse geeseRead also these articles.
- Why does not bloom geranium
- Orchid Dendrobium
- Early varieties of plums
- The best varieties of pears for the Moscow region
Photo of Toulouse Geese
This is an ancient breed described by Charles Darwin. It was received in France, in Toulouse, from where the name went. Bred from simple, domesticated gray geese whose qualities have been improved through proper keeping, feeding, and selection. These birds have a large body, horizontal body, medium length, thick neck. The color of modern Toulouse is dark gray. There are four species of Toulouse geese breed:
- with a "purse" and a crease on the stomach (this is the most massive type, but it gives offspring poorly);
- only with a "wallet";
- only with fold;
- without a "wallet" and without a crease on the stomach.
- With proper nutrition, the weight of males can reach 7.5-10 kg, and females 6-8 kg.
- The weight of the liver during fattening 500 g
- Mass gain is active, goslings in 2 months already weigh 4 kg!
- Egg production 30-40 eggs per laying season.
- Egg weight 165 g on average.
Disadvantages of Toulouse Geese:
- hatchability of eggs is only 60%;
- females do not incubate eggs;
- these geese are not grown on pastures;
- they do not tolerate cold;
- the breed does not differ in mobility, individuals are slow and therefore prone to obesity.
Kholmogorskaya breed geese
Photo Kholmogory geese
Old Russian breed. Kholmogory geese have a strong constitution. The body is located horizontally, the chest is wide. The external differences include the curve beak and orange growth, similar to a bump on the forehead. The plumage may be white or gray.
- The weight of an adult male is 11-12 kg, and geese - 8 kg.
- At 2 months goslings reach a mass of 4-4.5 kg.
- Eggs are large, with a good shell, weighing 180-190 g.
Disadvantages of the Kholmogorsk geese breed:
- geese do not carry well, for a season of eggs get 25-30 pieces;
- females hatch eggs badly.
Emden GeeseWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to treat diarrhea in calves
- Variety of garlic Gribovsky
- Strawberry Honey
- Planting strawberries in the fall
Photo of Emden Geese
An ancient German species described by Charles Darwin. Received in Germany, in Emden. The bird looks massive, elongated. On the stomach there is a small, but visible fold. The head is large, with a short beak orange color. Under it there is a "wallet". The neck is long, curved. Feathers throughout the body are white.
- The mass of the big gander is 8-10 kg, females - 7-8 kg.
- Individuals fatten up quickly, by 8-9 weeks already weigh 3.8-4 kg.
- The taste of meat, liver and even the fat obtained after slaughter can be sold profitably.
- Fluff and feather of this species are expensive to estimate in factories.
- Egg production is weak 25-30 eggs per year with a hen.
Vladimir clay rock
Photo of Vladimir clay geese
This species was obtained in the Vladimir region. For selection, Kholmogory and Toulouse individuals were used. Vladimir clay individuals peaceful, calm. They have a knocked-up torso, chest developed. The neck is elongated, rather wide, with 1-2 folds on the stomach. Feathers are brown-gray.
- The mass of husslers for fattening is 7-9 kg, geese - 6-7.5 kg.
- Goslings are actively developing - at 1.5 months the weight is already 4.2-4.4 kg.
- Meat is considered a delicacy and is expensive.
- Egg production 40-50 eggs, weighing 170-210 g.
- Goose good, caring mommies.
- Down and feather are valued in the market.
- Survival rate of young stock up to 95%.
- hatchability 50%;
- at the moment, this breed belongs to rare species, and pedigree specimens can be costly when purchased.
Gorky (Lindov) geese
Photo of Gorky (Lindov) geese
The species was obtained by mixing Chinese and Solar mountain geese. Productivity is excellent, so geese are very popular. Feathers are white, but spotted and gray specimens are also found. The body is massive, the head is large, the neck is elongated. Blue eyes. There is a growth on the forehead, right above the curved beak. Under the beak is a "wallet", there is a fold on the stomach.
- The mass of developed ganders is 7-8 kg, adult geese - 6-7 kg.
- 45-50 testicles are obtained per annum.
- Egg mass 120-150 g
- females start to be born at about 8, sometimes 7 months;
- hatchability of goslings within 70%;
- females do not like to hatch eggs and, moreover, cares for the young.
Photo of Pomeranian geese
This large breed of geese is one of the list of the most ancient and still popular today. The old type goose possessed a brownish plumage. Modern Pomeranian geese have white feathers.
- Ganders fatten up to a weight of 7-8 kg, females - 6-7 kg.
- Eggs get excellent, most are fertilized, with an average weight of 180-200 g.
- Old-type hens have a hatching instinct.
- Egg production is low, but without failures with proper nutrition. One female gives 20-30 eggs.
- Pomeranian geese of the modern type do not hatch eggs and are completely devoid of maternal instinct.
- Females start to be born from 8-9 months of life.
Tula breed geese
Photo of Tula geese
Large breed geese come from Russia. The bird's body is strong, the bones are well developed. The back and chest is wide. The neck is thick and short. The head is large, with a massive forehead. Klyuvik large, straight, bodily color. Feathers are gray or clay top and white at the base. From the outside it seems that the birds are just spotty.Interesting! Tula geese cannot be kept together with representatives of other breeds, otherwise fights in the house are inevitable!
- The weight of a developed, fattened individual is 7.5–9 kg, and the hen is 6–6.5 kg.
- The meat tastes excellent, it is for it that the bird is bred.
- Eggs give large females weighing 180 g.
- Maternal instinct is strong.
- low egg production rate - 10-30 pieces from one female;
- individuals are prone to fights, so you need to be able to handle them.
Photo geese Legard
Danish species, which is similar in appearance to the Italian geese (described below). The representative of a large breed of geese, physique powerful, elongated. The back is even and strong. The neck is straight, not very long. The head is small, the beak of the correct form. The color of the breed is pure white, without impurities, shades, spots. The main difference is a calm disposition, friendliness, quick maturing.
- The weight of an adult gander can reach up to 9-11 kg, and females 10 kg.
- Females demolish about 40 eggs in a season.
- High value is down and feather. They are gentle, soft, high quality.
- This is an unpretentious bird.
- Individuals can be grown on pasture.
- Fast, easy breeding.
Disadvantages of the LeGard geese breed:
- Yield 65%. This is not small, but in comparison with many other breeds, the indicator is below average.
Italian white geese
Stock Foto Italian white geese
Italian geese are spread all over the world. This remarkable bird will decorate any yard. Build down, correct, back straight. The head is small, located on the short neck. White feathers.
- The developed gander weighs 6-7 kg, the hen - 6 kg.
- Egg production 40-50 pieces per year. The mass of each testicle is 160-170 g.
- Survival rate of goslings is 70-80%.
- Meat is incredibly tasty, fatty liver, for which he is appreciated by cooks.
- Birds easily adapt to any climatic conditions.
- Contained even without reservoirs.
Disadvantages of Italian white geese:
- This bird is independent and very self-willed. It is advisable to equip for her a large free range, so she could explore the neighborhood at any time.
- The breed does not interbreed with others, and it is desirable to keep it separate from representatives of other species.
Large breeds of geese are not uncommon, but only some of them have high quality characteristics. The breeds described above are the leaders in agriculture, they should be guided by them, choosing a bird for keeping on a personal plot.